Has your business website got some pages with very similar or thin content to target particular suburbs? If your answer is yes, continue reading this post as these pages are at a high risk of getting penalised.
Doorway pages are typically large sets of poor-quality pages where each page is optimized for a specific keyword or phrase. In many cases, doorway pages are written to rank for a particular phrase and then funnel users to a single destination. Whether deployed across many domains or established within one domain, doorway pages tend to frustrate users.
Google has made it very clear on several occasions that these pages are not welcome. Assuming that these pages are of great significance to your business, let’s discuss a few ways to improve the quality of these pages in order to gain trust and respect from the Search Engines.
If you can not invest any time or resources, take these pages down. Merge the content to one single page and implement 301 redirects from the old pages. If these pages are of vital significance to your business and you still want to keep them, you can either hire a professional copywriter or take a look at following recommendations that I usually suggest to my clients:
- Add factual information about the potential growth and opportunities for your typical clients’ interests in this area. So for instance, you sell and repair musical instruments, discuss what opportunities this suburb offers.
- Consult a local from this region to find out the trends in your business category in this region. Take a moment to discuss those trends on your page and show how your products are up to it.
- Compare your business with the other local businesses in the suburb. I really like this one as it offers you an opportunity to highlight your USPs (Unique Selling Points).
- Make a video of your regional office or the central hub of this suburb, and do a storytelling while the video is running. Explain the services you offer in this suburb and maybe mention your distance from this central hub. If you can think of something else that people can relate to, use that instead. Don’t forget to write down everything spoken in the video as a transcript underneath the video.
- If you’ve already had clients from the suburb this page is for, use a few of their success stories (not the long and boring ones) on this page.
- Provide some useful links to high quality websites for the local audience. For example, if you are a counsellor, providing some quick link to the local suicide help line website can help save a life. These outgoing links are also respected by the search engines and will help you gain their trust.
- Let the visitors review your services. This allows your users to generate the relevant & unique content for you.
- Add a map with your location that lets people get the directions.
Keep in mind that you are not writing for the Search Engines. Your copy should be concise and everything in it should be worth reading.
Hope this helps. I know how tiresome it is to put effort into a page that you thought you had already created. Think of it as a long term investment. You shall be rewarded for all your hard work. Good luck.